USA Hockey Coach Certification Process
Here is a list of necessary steps to complete the USA Hockey Coach Certification Process. All SMS Hockey coaches must complete the following tasks to be rostered on a team.
- Register with USA Hockey: Register as a coach with USA Hockey for the 2022-2023 season. Create or log into your Coaching Profile. Select 'My Profile' at the top of the page, then 'Coaching Information', which will bring you to your 'Dashboard'. This page will list tasks that need to be completed to be certified by USA Hockey.
- Complete the required background screening: Complete the Background Screening form. Background screening is good for two years. If you need to renew it, click on the Screening Renewal link.
- Complete the required Safe Sport training: Complete the initial SafeSport training course of the refresher course.
- Complete the age-specific training modules: Age-specific training modules need to be completed for each age group. For example, if you are coaching at the 8U level, the 8U Module must be completed.
- Complete proper certification clinic before Dec 31: All coaches need to attend a USA Hockey Certification Clinic annually. These events are 6-8 hours, and we recommend signing up and completing them early in the season. A list of clinics can be found here.